Branches ~ Ardamine/Kilnamanagh, Ballycanew/Leskinfere/Monamolin, Bunclody, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Gorey, Killanne/Killegney, New Ross/Fethard-on-Sea and Wexford
You may become a Member of Mothers' Union by joining one of the Branches listed above or by becoming a Diocesan Member. All contact details are available from the Diocesan Secretary, Margaret Jacob
New Trustees who were commissioned at the Festival Service
St. Canice's Cathedral Kilkenny ~ May 2017
Officers for 2017-2020
Diocesan President ~ Revd. Margaret Sykes
Secretary ~ Margaret Jacob
Diocesan Treasurer ~ Elizabeth Johnston
Vice President Ossory ~ Linda Ward
Vice President Cashel ~ Vacant
Vice President Leighlin ~ Vacant
Vice President Ferns ~ Lesley Bayley
Faith & Policy ~ Rev. Canon Barbara Fryday
Action & Outreach ~ Vacant
Fundraising & Communications ~ Margaret Jacob
Finance & Central Services ~ Joan Blake
Social Policy Rep. ~ Vacant
Overseas Rep. ~ Pearl Olsen
Media Representative ~ Mary Catherine Compton
Indoor Members Represenatives:
Ossory ~ Linda Condell
Leighlin & Ferns ~ Cecily Jones
Training Officer ~ Joan Blake
Young Families ~ Claudia Kidd
P.R.O. ~ Vivien Black
Secretary to Trustees ~ Violet Deacon
Chaplain ~ Revd. Canon Mark Hayden
A Brief History of The Mothers' Union
The Mothers Union was formed in 1876 by Mary Sumner whose husband was Rector in Winchester at the time, and later became a Bishop. The organisation spread quickly, as many of the ladies involved, were army officers wives and when they went abroad started branches.
The first Mothers Union Branch in Ireland was formed in Raheny in 1887, by the Rector's wife Mrs Annabella Hayes in affiliation with Winchester Diocese. In 1901 the Bishop and Mrs Sumner visited Ireland.
The oldest Branch in The United Diocese of Cashel, Ferns & Ossory is Wexford Branch where early records state that a Branch was formed in 1892 with a membership of five. This was prior to setting up a Diocesan organisation in 1904, so the Branch was affiliated to Dublin. The next two Branches which were formed in the United Diocese were Lismore in 1894 and Kilkenny in 1895.
A new Diocesan Banner was designed and made by Frances Bradley when the United Diocese was named Cashel, Ferns, Ossory. The Banner was dedicated at the Festival Service in Enniscorthy in May 2015.
The latest Branch was formed only this year, 2017, and it is in Old Leighlin.
Frances Bradley & Margaret Sykes
with the New Diocesan Banner
The Subscriptions for 2018 are due in the new year. Branch Treasurers should forward the money to Elizabeth Johnston, Diocesan Treasurer, in January.
The breakdown of your subscription, the total of which is € 34, is as follows: